[CentOS-mirror] Mirror Symlinks?

Sun May 15 18:26:44 UTC 2005
Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org>

Hi all,

I run the LittleProjects.org mirror.  To ensure that the mirrors are
running properly I have the cron job send me an email after each run
(every 4 hours).  Most of the time I check the message date and note
that it is on schedule.  About once a day I look at the contents to see
if anything new has come up.

Recently I noticed rsync had the following output:

<rsync output>
2.1/
2.1/extras/
2.1/extras/HEADER.html -> /home/centos/centos/HEADER.html
2.1/extras/HEADER.images -> /home/centos/centos/HEADER.images
2.1/extras/SRPMS/
2.1/extras/SRPMS/HEADER.html -> /home/centos/centos/HEADER.html
2.1/extras/SRPMS/HEADER.images -> /home/centos/centos/HEADER.images
</rsync output>

My script also runs chown (and selinux's chcon) after the rsync so that
the files have the correct permissions/types.
If I hadn't seen these errors I wouldn't have thought to look at the
text above:

<chown errors>
/bin/chown: changing ownership of
`/misc/mirrors/centos.org/2.1/extras/SRPMS/HEADER.html': No such file or
directory
/bin/chown: changing ownership of
`/misc/mirrors/centos.org/2.1/extras/SRPMS/HEADER.images': No such file
or directory
/bin/chown: changing ownership of
`/misc/mirrors/centos.org/2.1/extras/headers/HEADER.html': No such file
or directory
/bin/chown: changing ownership of
`/misc/mirrors/centos.org/2.1/extras/headers/HEADER.images': No such
file or directory
</chown errors>

I have no '/home/centos/centos' directory for these symlinks to point
to.  They are all over the place.  Was this a momentary mistake?  Or, am
I just running rsync with the wrong options?

My rsync command is
/usr/bin/rsync -avzH --delete us-msync.centos.org::CentOS
/misc/mirrors/centos.org

I believe I can change the rsync options to copy the files the links
point to, rather than preserving the links.  Essentially, I'll remove
the -a option and replace it with its useful constituent options.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Shawn M. Jones