[CentOS-mirror] Unresponsive or outdated nodes in mirror.centos.org

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 9 14:29:37 UTC 2005

Hi Zenon,

Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> Hi everyone
> At http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2217&forum=6
> I expressed some dismay at the fact that several of the update
> mirrors are broken or outdated. I also proposed some remedies
> for the problem.
> Since nobody has replied there, I thought I'd better bring the
> issue here.
> I wrote a script which checks header.info on all parts of both
> distributions on all update mirrors using http headers only,
> thus a totally negligible amount of bandwidth, and then modifies
> sdb_ldap DNS zone records for mirror.centos.org to only reflect
> good mirrors. Of course it could run against a plain vanilla
> BIND too, but sdb_ldap has the great advantage that it eliminates
> the need to reload after every zone change, so that removing bad
> mirrors from and re-inserting repaired ones into the round-robin
> can be done really often.
> To go along with the script, I also wrote an sdb_ldap .ldif for
> mirror.centos.org.
> Is there any interest to implement any of this?

You might want to keep in mind that mirror.centos.org are machines that
are run by us, the centos project, on donated dedicated servers. The
mirrors listed on http://www.centos.org/mirrors  are _NOT_ a part of

However this issue of external mirror state, is an issue that came up a
few weeks back and Lance has written a state checking script. We plan on
implementing this to generate mirrorlist data that can then in turn be
used by yum to make sure users get only 'updated' mirrors.

- K