[CentOS-mirror] Unresponsive or outdated nodes in mirror.centos.org

Wed Nov 9 13:45:19 UTC 2005
Zenon Panoussis <centos at provocation.net>

Hi everyone

At http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2217&forum=6
I expressed some dismay at the fact that several of the update
mirrors are broken or outdated. I also proposed some remedies
for the problem.

Since nobody has replied there, I thought I'd better bring the
issue here.

I wrote a script which checks header.info on all parts of both
distributions on all update mirrors using http headers only,
thus a totally negligible amount of bandwidth, and then modifies
sdb_ldap DNS zone records for mirror.centos.org to only reflect
good mirrors. Of course it could run against a plain vanilla
BIND too, but sdb_ldap has the great advantage that it eliminates
the need to reload after every zone change, so that removing bad
mirrors from and re-inserting repaired ones into the round-robin
can be done really often.

To go along with the script, I also wrote an sdb_ldap .ldif for
mirror.centos.org.

Is there any interest to implement any of this?