[CentOS-mirror] Disk Space Constraints

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Thu Oct 13 18:02:23 UTC 2005

Mihai Maties wrote:

>On Thursday 13 October 2005 18:04, Shawn M. Jones wrote:
>

>>Due to the increase in space that CentOS is taking up, I've had to split
>>the mirror across two hard drives.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how I would structure the rsync commands to
>>facilitate this?
>>

>You might want to use LVM to avoid splitting the tree. Just create a logical
>volume from those 2 HDDs (or from the empty space on them).
>
>If you split the mirror tree you'll have a lot of work to do in the future
>when you'll find out that an entire subtree does not fit on one HDD.

It looks like I don't have much choice.  I rent a server from
ServerBeach.  Whenever I set up a machine myself, I use LVM.
Unfortunately, they did not subscribe to that philosophy, and thus I'm
stuck with the RHEL 4 default.

At the moment I'm looking into having a 4.2 symlink and putting 4.2 into
its own directory on the other disc.

Thanks for the LVM suggestion though.  I was just hoping there was
another way I could use rsync so that it doesn't destroy the symlink
every time it links up.  I guess I could run it once for each tree, but
then it wouldn't really be a true mirror, now would it?  Ergh...

I'm still open to suggestions.  :-)

--Shawn