[CentOS-mirror] A new Centos mirror at nic.funet.fi

Wed Aug 23 15:57:46 UTC 2006
Centos Mirror managers at NIC <centos-mirror at nic.funet.fi>

Hi,

I've set up a new centos mirror at the nic.funet.fi alias
ftp.funet.fi (ftp.funet.fi is the server from where Linux was launched
17.9.1991 making us the oldest linux distribution server I
guess) during this summer (holidays slowed finalizing it a bit...).
In July there seemed to be most times I tried manually problems getting
any response from the msync servers, now it seems to be doing OK.

HTTP.: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/centos.org/
FTP..:  ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/centos.org/
Rsync: rsync://rsync.nic.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/centos.org/

(BitTorrent is currently under testing, I'm interested in comparing it's
performance and statistics with FTP if anyone has those to share. I've
been experimenting with PermaSeed but that requires using the Osprey
tracker so unless you're using it I'd have to generate separate torrent
files or try some other approach.)

Version..............: All

(I use the rsync settings recommended in the Mirror HOWTO which I guess
equals All)

Architectures........: All
Direct DVD Downloads.: Yes please, but

it seems I'd need first access to my-dvd.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd to
make it  happen. Could that be arranged? Other mirrors could rsync from
us  too as long as we are not the only source. I'd hope the 2GB limit
will gradually disappear... It's practically the same bits as in the set
of  CDs so if most sites supported DVDs I'd suppose the load would not
rise much (rsync, pureftpd, http 2.2.x and Solaris 10 at least seems to
be working combination).

Preference for mirrors is for nearby (low latency) sites, european late
night (but do sync more often if you need to) and the academic community
in case we'd need to be preferential  someday... Our primary target
audience is the finnish academic and  research community to which we'll
always give preference and best latency. Please let us know if and when
you mirror us regularly and you  might someday get better service or
service break announcements. The GeoIP mapping sounds interesting.

We currently provide at least Fedora and Ubuntu DVD:s without major
problems to everyone..

Synchronised..: 4 times/day  (23 22,3,8,17 * * * currently, but could
change)

Location......: Finland, EU
Bandwidth cap.: 1 Gbit/s

(It's a NIC-dedicated network connected on a Juniper router that's
connected to the Funet backbone which in turn is
connected to NORDunet, Geant, Internet2, FICIX etc. with many gigabits)
In practice the speed one gets depends on latencies, number of users
and how well the 16GB memory can buffer the files).

Organization.......: CSC / Funet  (Finnish University and Research Network)
Contact email.: centos-mirror at nic.funet.fi
Main URL......: http://www.nic.funet.fi/
Service window: 15-19 Finnish time on Mondays (for non-urgent Funet
related service work, not every monday of course) but breaks and reboots
on other times are also possible.

Harri Salminen
nic.funet.fi coordinator