[CentOS-mirror] CentOS Mirror System Proposals)

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 8 17:43:39 UTC 2006

With the imminent release of CentOS 4.3 , and then 3.7  ... we are looking
for ways to improve the way we get CentOS to end users.

It is likely that shortly we will restrict access to msync.centos.org to
officialy registered mirrors. This is to try to conserve the bandwidth
that we have available to sync mirrors.

We will also be switching rsync access to mirror.centos.org off as that
should not be used by external mirrors to sync. (mirrors should
preferably use us-msync. and eu-msync. - but otherwise msync. )

That would mean that new mirrors would need an alternative method to sync
and we will be requesting that they initially sync from another mirror.
Then once synced and registered they would be given access to
msync.centos.org if needed.

( It is assumed that any mirrors that provide
rsync access will be happy for new mirrors to sync using them, but if not
please speak up ... )

In order to scale up we may need for external mirrors to become hubs and
act as sync masters for other mirrors. Alternatively we do need more
geographically spread servers of our own - if anyone has any spare ....

It is also possible that we could provide the whole tree via bittorrent
for new mirrors to use to sync - but thawould onyl be of benefit if
mirrors were prepared to act as feeds for the torrent.

Also a  proposal that has been made is to provide access to dvd.iso files
on external mirrors and we are looking into doing that. At the moment
dvd.iso files are only available by bittorrent and some people are forbidden from using
that by companies regulations.

We also have a vault of older CentOS releases that we keep at
vault.centos.org, (approx 115 GB - but will grow slightly once CentOS 4.2
is vaulted) that could benefit from being mirrored more widely.

So - if any mirrors have space and bandwidth to spare , then please answer
the following questions.

---------------------

1. Would you be prepared to act as a hub for other (local) mirrors to sync
from - either by providing us with a server to use, or setting up an
apache virtual host that we can point to (would have to be
standard CentOS mirror structure ) - and an rsync module.

--------------------

2. Would you be prepared to feed a bittorrent of the centos tree for new
mirrors to use to sync ??

--------------------

3. Would you be prepared to mirror dvd.iso files , (bearing in mind the
apache 2GB file size restriction may mean using a different http server)

We would provide these as a separate rsync repo - and they could
(preferably) be initially downloaded via bitorrent.

Our iso redirect system would see which mirrors carried the dvd iso files
and offer those mirrors to users for those files.

4. Would you be prepared to mirror vault.centos.org

Do you have any other suggestions ??

Regards
Lance
--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.