[CentOS-mirror] instability of msync.centos.org::CentOS (4.4 dir)

Takash Ichihara ichihar1 at alpha.riken.go.jp
Sun Sep 3 02:39:25 UTC 2006

  Hi there,

  Recently I notified that the CentOS 4.4 directory appeared and
disappeared periodically in our mirror server (ftp.riken.jp).
After the investigation, I notified that at the CentOS Rsync Master
server

      msync.centos.org::CentOS

the 4.4 directory seems to be disappeared sometimes in rsync connection.
Since we are mirroring CentOS archives from msync.centos.org::CentOS
using  "rsync -aqzH --delete" options, when the 4.4 directly cannot be
found at msync.centos.org::CentOS at the rsync mirror period, all the 4.4
archives mirrored so far are deleted immediately. And then in the next
time when the 4.4 directory is found at msync.centos.org::CentOS, the
rsyncing of 4.4 starts from the beginning. This repetition seems to
raise the overload of the centos rsync master server (msync.centos.org)...

  For the temporary solution, I have removed --delete option in
rsync command and switched the rsync server to us-msync server.
Could someone please investigate this problem ?
Thank you in advance.

   Takashi Ichihara