[CentOS-mirror] Selective RSync

Imre Gergely

imre.gergely at astral.ro
Wed Apr 11 19:56:51 UTC 2007

Jim Zimmerman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To save bandwidth, I'm setting up a local repository/mirror from which
> our CentOS 4 farm will pull its updates.  Since we are using only the
> x86 architecture, I'd also like to save space by not downloading and
> storing anything that isn't required for the x86 architecture.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or advice on how best to configure rsync
> to skip the parts of the mirror that aren't necessary for the x86
> architecture?

i did it like this:

rsync -vaH --delay-updates --delete --delete-excluded --exclude="alpha/"
--exclude="ia64/" --exclude="s390/" --exclude="s390x/"
eu-msync.centos.org::CentOS /store/public/mirrors/centos.org/

first you should get the whole list, without any exclude, and with the
"--dry-run" option to rsync, then you go thru the list, and exclude
everything you don't need with the --exclude options.

and 'man rsync' :)

and if you want only the 4.4, you can go like this:

eu-msync.centos.org::CentOS/4.4/ /path/to/centos.org/4.4/

--
Imre Gergely
ISP Services