[CentOS-mirror] Status of dvd iso for CentOS mirrors.

J.H.

warthog9 at kernel.org
Tue Apr 17 02:35:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 03:08 +0100, Lance Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, J.H. wrote:
>
> > Kernel.org would is completely willing.
> >
> > However would it not make more sense to just set up a second rsync
> > target and explicitly exclude *DVD* or something akin to that so that
> > those not wanting the DVD's got everything BUT the dvd isos?  That might
> > be a lot quicker and simpler than doing a hard linked set of trees.
>
> Yes, that is fine. We hardlink the trees for other reasons (although they
> escape me at the moment :)

> > As for letting other mirrors sync from the tier1's is there any
> > consideration for authentication as it would be nice to just run, again,
> > a separate target that can see everything in the centos directory but
> > check either the incoming ip address or (as I currently have setup) a
> > username/password combination so that only mirrors are using those
> > targets and not the general public.  If you did it via an ip list you
> > could just have that sync with the rest of the Centos tree, if you did
> > it via username/passwords you'd need to have the tier1's sync a separate
> > target or something with that list.
>
> Well the only reason not too was that you allow public rsync access :)
>
> I guess that would mean having specific rsync targets for mirrors to sync
> eg ::CentOS-sync-nodvd ::CentOS-sync-incdvd as opposed to the public
> ::CentOS

Basically

> But what would be the difference ?? - ok I guess they are more specific
> as to what you are going to get, and you may be able to give a different
> bandwidth path ??

The difference being, when releases happen the public doesn't see what's
being released, where as the mirrors need to be able to see it.  I.E.

rw------- <user> <group> centos/5.0

Would still be invisible during mirror propagation (rsync user is set as
a generic user without permission to access the folder) while the
mirrors connecting would be able to.  That is the main difference,
otherwise 99% of the time the two would return the same data.  Also
means that I can have two separate pools of connections say 10 - 20
slots for mirrors and say a hundred for normal downloading which gives a
mirror a MUCH better chance of getting into and downloading things vs.
the general public.

> Plus it may be useful for logging purposes.

True.

> I am happy to provide a list of ips that are authorised to sync those
> targets - would that work for you ??

It would work for me, it might be useful to have those in a file that
also gets synced with centos (in the root directory) so that the other
mirrors can take advantage of the same thing?

Anyway - those are just my $0.02 anyway.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley
Kernel.org