[CentOS-mirror] Mirroring Release of CentOS 5 Beta

archive-admin at mirrorservice.org archive-admin at mirrorservice.org
Thu Mar 8 13:17:15 UTC 2007

Id agree that perhaps a more general perhaps a sub tree of the main
mirror? easily controlled trough (accept/allow) perhaps a different target
on the rsync master which allows the  beta tree similar to how the iso's
are done... this is how redhat, fedora, FreeBSD and lots of others do it.

The less setup needed to be done by people the less breakage and the more
mirrors that will pick it up (as its easy).

mirrorservice.org would like to help up to 2G/bs available
mirror : University Of Kent (UK mirror service)
ip address for rsync access : 212.219.56.128/26
url for testing : http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/beta.centos.org
                  http://beta.centos.mirrorservice.org

Phill.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Olivier Thauvin wrote:

> Le Wednesday 07 March 2007, Lance Davis a =E9crit=A0:
> > In preparation for the public release of CentOS 5 beta, we would like t=
> > expand the number of mirror servers that have the beta as we expect it =
> > be a popular download.
> >
> > So if any mirrors - especially ones with large bandwidth - can agree to
> > the following please let us know :-
>
> (http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/)
>
> I do not have many bandwith for http, but I can provide a spare rsync ser=
ver
> easilly, and I can ensure a sync very often (4 time per hour for example)=
=2E

> > 1. set up an apache virtual host as beta.centos.or
>
> This is possible, but I'll have probably to restart my apache, which is n=
ot
> acceptable because the count long iso download always pending on the serv=
er.

> > 2. set up rsync for beta.cenros.org with targets we specify
>
> Will this target change for next beta ? how many rsync per day ? Why do y=
ou
> not push beta on classic tree ?
> I am usually ready to help, but I can't change my config for all distribu=
tion
> like this, otherwise, I can work only the mirrors (I rsync mandriva, cent=
os,
> scientific, devil...), for some tree, I am often the first and sometimes =
the
> only one to report errors.
>
> So if you can ensure me I'll have to setup this only one time for all, wh=
> not.
>
> > This will make it easy for us to use GeoIP based dns system to give out
> > mirrors.
>
> My server is already registered for a projet I am working on
> (http://mmm.zarb.org/ if interested)
>

> > 3. agree to sync regularily and only carry the latest beta download tre=
> >
> > Because we dont want broken stuff too widely distributed
>
> I rsync mandriva 4 time per hour (400GB), so this is not a problem
>
> > 4. agree to remove the beta stuff when the beta test is over
>
> And having to setup it again for next beta ? Why not keeping this tree fo=
r the
> devel tree, moving often, as mandriva have devel/cooker ?
>
> Regards.

--=20
Archive Admin's at The UK Mirror Service
http://www.mirrorservice.org/