[CentOS-mirror] Mirroring Release of CentOS 5 Beta

Olivier Thauvin

nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Fri Mar 9 00:45:54 UTC 2007

Le Thursday 08 March 2007, Lance Davis a écrit :
> This time around we think that our internal servers would struggle to
> cope so we are wanting a few external mirrors to help.
>
> But we do want to keep it separate from our main tree.

This is not really the problem.
Just setup another rsync share, and define where it be on ftp/rsync/http path.
Seting up a CNAME is enough after. See BSD
(ftp://ftp5.fr.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ point to a server in the university I
am working, 5 iirc).

> Although we will discuss internally ...

The main issue is you are asking specific work to be done altering server
setup with complexes configuration.

Most of mirror admin does the job to help, but most of them don't really care
to what happen. Moreover guys having big mirror often host several projects.
Now imagine each of them ask something else... It is already the case for
gentoo, those guy want specific hour for sync with different time for two
tree, *BSD want to be in /pub,  etc...

The risk for all projects is to bother admin more that they can handle, and
finally just be ignored by most of them.

distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr is already a key server for mandriva, top level
for kororaa, and is used a reference for some other mirrors.
The best way to ensure the quality is simply to discuss and having good
contact with a set of trusted people (for instance I am not only a sys admin,
but also a contributor who work on a rpm based distribution).

Otherwise,
http://centos-beta.nanardon.zarb.org/ works here, same apache config is done
for beta.centos.org, the rsync share is open, so everything should be ok,
just need to be tested.

I cannot sync the beta tree currently:

[distrib at distrib-coffee etc]$ rsync
rsync://us-beta-sync.centos.org/centos-beta/
@ERROR: Unknown module 'centos-beta'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1383)
[receiver=2.6.9]
[distrib at distrib-coffee etc]$

But the config is done in my bot and the sync will retry.

Regards.