[CentOS-mirror] Mirroring Release of CentOS 5 Beta

Thu Mar 8 15:13:47 UTC 2007
Lance Davis <lance at centos.org>

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Olivier Thauvin wrote:

> Hum, after looking my setup, and for most of server, unless you want to use /
> on the http server, there is no need of an apache virtual host.
>
> Look *BSD which are always in /pub/*BSD. You just have to claim a path for
> ftp/http/rsync and so all mirror can easilly provide a symlink, or a
> mountpoint as ftp://.../pub/centos or http://.../CentOS-Beta. In apache this
> can be done with a simple Alias directive.
>
> Unless the http server already use virtual host (rarelly the case for mirrors
> servers), by default an unknown server name will point to the default
> website.
>
> Then just setup in you dns an CNAME or A ptr beta.centos.org -> mirrors.
>
> Wouldn't be that faster to setup for most of people ?

except that we want all beta.centos.org to work the same ....

> BTW: I am not sure a round robin DNS is te best, people will randomly point to
> closed or far mirrors, with the bad results in some case (France -> France =
> up to 5MB, France -> USA never more than 400kB).
> To use Geoip and so being able choose the mirror, you cannot use a unique host
> name, otherwise the round robin dns will act, and to have http config working
> with named virtual host working, the http client should use the name in
> apache config. I can missed something, the idea seems to not be able to work.

We dont use rrdns - we use powerdns with a custom geoip plugin :)

Regards

Lance

> Oterwise, I agree to see what I can do:
> distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr, server IP: 134.157.176.20
>
> Nothing is setup yet as I am waiting reply reply on topic above.

uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.