[CentOS-mirror] Centos 5.0 deleted during sync from mirrors

Tue May 15 01:25:43 UTC 2007
J.H. <warthog9 at kernel.org>

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 18:01 -0700, Curtis Doty wrote:
> Yesterday J.H. said:
>
> > The problem stemmed from mainly bad luck - looks like I was the only one
> > to make it into the mirror right at that moment (before the rsync was
> > turned off) and got a screwed up sync (they were in the process of
> > fixing something)
> >
> > So more or less - my bad luck nothing to be concerned with.
>
> It was more than that. I saw it too Sunday. And had to quickly hardlink
> everything back into position. The magic of keeping a hardlinked shadow
> copy.

Yeah it happened on Sunday, we got 'lucky' and zeus2 didn't make it in
on that sync cycle so it was saved

> Even though rsync went on a delete frenzy, I brought the content back
> online without too much repeat download nonsense. Something was amuck at
> kernel.org for sure; but they got it squared away eventually.

Problem was upstream with Centos's mirrors, we just happened to be the
unlucky mirror to get in right under the gun.  Luckily the zeus2 had a
copy and syncing from zeus2 -> zeus1 is a very fast operation.

It shouldn't happen again from my understanding, just the typical
occasional fluke.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley