[CentOS-mirror] DVD Access and why it is restricted

Olivier Thauvin

nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Oct 22 11:05:34 UTC 2007

Le samedi 20 octobre 2007, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> All,

> There are about 200 official public mirrors that want to get updates
> from us at release time, and if all of them get updates via the
> msync-dvd mirrors it is going to be a _VERY_LONG_ time before those get
> out.
>
> Also understand that there is only 24 hours in a day and I am only one
> person ... and I have a real job :D ... so I can only manage CentOS
> infrastructure for 23 Hours and 59 Minutes a day !!!

I read carrefully your and I understand the problem.

I am mananging distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr, public mirror, hosting DVD for
centos but currently I synch from another server to get DVD iso.

Of course, 200 servers synching from your mirror is too high (100mbits / 20 =
5 Mbits/s, 500kB/s then per mirror).

I think a better solution would be to have mirror relay per continent synching
from your server and others would sync from. These mirrors relay should sync
often, having the configuration (rsync config) and should be clearly
identified (something like rsync.europe.centos.org).

I was thinking to ask to be allow to sync DVD from your mirror, not sure it is
the best for you.

In case you ask, yes distrib-coffee can become one this relay server, I use
QOS to make mirrors life faster.

Regards.