[CentOS-mirror] Re: mirror down - bluehost

Olivier Thauvin

nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Fri Apr 11 01:27:43 UTC 2008

Le vendredi 11 avril 2008, Lauro, John a écrit :

> I don't see how they (host gator) can offer that much at that rate.  I
> assume they figure most people will just pay it and not come close to
> using it...  They can always rate limit you to say 10mb and still call
> it unlimited, but still I think they would have to be loosing money
> even if they cap at 10mb/s...  Their rates for dedicated servers are
> not that good, so it's not like they are getting extremely cheap
> bandwidth...

>> I have only been using
>> about 250 gig of space and 650 gig of bandwidth a month

FYI, distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr host around 4TB of various linux
distribution, and 650GB (yes Bytes) is less than the _daily_ bandwidth allow
for all anonymous users using ftp/http/rsync (rate limit at 65mbits/s, the
university, know mirrors and friends get more).

I fully agree with John... The question is how can they trash all data w/o any
warning before ? Woot, I hope they never did that on important data hard to
recover !