[CentOS-mirror] Re: mirror down - bluehost

Matt Shields

mattboston at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 12:57:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Olivier Thauvin
<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 11 avril 2008, Lauro, John a écrit :
>

>  > I don't see how they (host gator) can offer that much at that rate.  I
>  > assume they figure most people will just pay it and not come close to
>  > using it...  They can always rate limit you to say 10mb and still call
>  > it unlimited, but still I think they would have to be loosing money
>  > even if they cap at 10mb/s...  Their rates for dedicated servers are
>  > not that good, so it's not like they are getting extremely cheap
>  > bandwidth...
>

> >> I have only been using
>  >> about 250 gig of space and 650 gig of bandwidth a month
>
>  FYI, distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr host around 4TB of various linux
>  distribution, and 650GB (yes Bytes) is less than the _daily_ bandwidth allow
>  for all anonymous users using ftp/http/rsync (rate limit at 65mbits/s, the
>  university, know mirrors and friends get more).
>
>  I fully agree with John... The question is how can they trash all data w/o any
>  warning before ? Woot, I hope they never did that on important data hard to
>  recover !

The old saying applies, "You get what you pay for".   Myself being in
the hosting industry I've warned people for years about hosting with
the el-cheapo hosting companies who promised almost unlimited
resources, then their account gets cancelled when they use too much.
The policy for my company has always been offer a good deal and good
support at a good price, and we've done pretty good.  We've had lots
of people that have left for BlueHost or HostGator or other el-cheapo
hosts, only to come back later. :)

--
-matt
http://www.cyberbite.com