[CentOS-mirror] Replacing my mirror server

Kasparek Tomas

kasparek at fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Feb 4 18:02:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:47:14PM +0000, Mike Zanker wrote:
> I'm just wondering what's the best version of CentOS to install on it,
> bearing in mind that I might want to host the DVDs at some point. I'll need
> a version of apache that supports files greater than 2GB - will the  CentOS
> 5.1 apache be OK for this? Should I install the 32-bit or 64-bit CentOS?

If you have 64bit HW, then I would go for 64bit CentOS 5.1, it will handle
big files well. Or you can use another lightweight server just for mirrors
- like lighttpd, I have good experience with this, as mirror traffic does
not overload main server with its services.

> I'd also be interested to know what people who host the DVDs are seeing
> bandwidth-wise - I have 3TB a month to play with...

I have In: 172,50 G   Out:  4,66 T  Total:  4,84 T  for 01.2008, but this
includes all traffic, mainly slax.org mirror. But from this you can see,
that 3TB/month is not so big amount.

Bye

  Tomas Kasparek, PhD student  E-mail: kasparek at fit.vutbr.cz
  CVT FIT VUT Brno, L127       Web:    http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~kasparek
  Bozetechova 1, 612 66        Fax:    +420 54114-1270
  Brno, Czech Republic         Phone:  +420 54114-1220

  ICQ: 293092805  jabber: tomas.kasparek at jabber.cz
  GPG: 2F1E 1AAF FD3B CFA3 1537  63BD DCBE 18FF A035 53BC