[CentOS-mirror] Wrong timestamp by pulling CentOS-incdvd

Takashi Ichihara ichihara at ribf.riken.jp
Tue Apr 21 15:28:54 UTC 2009

Hi all

( I resubmit a mail to the Centos-morror List for your information)
(sorry to sent again, because previous one was sorted in the
different thread in the ML archives)

Tru Huynh wrote,
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/centos/ is being listed as 12 days late.
> >
> > Any issue on your mirror or on the centos mirror your are
> > pulling from?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Tru

Yes, we ftp.riken.jp are pulling from the CentOS master site by
rsync -avzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd /ftp/Linux/centos

every 4 hours when the previous rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd
is not running. In addition, we kill the previous rsync once a day if there
is a previous rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd running and start
a new rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd .

A part of the last rsync log is as follows.

> > Mon Apr 20 23:03:01 UTC 2009
> > no Force argument is specified
> > now rsyncing to msync.centos.org is starting
> >
> > msync.CentOS.org rsync service (centosb3)
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > This service is intended for the sole use of the CentOS worldwide
> mirror network
> > to synchronize mirrors.
> >
> >receiving incremental file list
> >deleting .rsync.log
> >./
> > timestamp.txt
> > 4.7/apt/i386/base/

It seems that the time stamps obtained by pulling the
seems to be sometimes wrong at some conditions.

At the Centos archive directory at ftp.riken.jp the time stamps are now
as follows.

[ftp centos]$ pwd
[ftp centos]$ date -u
Tue Apr 21 13:21:06 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Thu Apr 9 11:00:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$
Manual rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/ right now resulted

[ftp centos]$ pwd
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/TIME .
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/timestamp.txt .
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Thu Apr 9 11:00:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$ date -u
Tue Apr 21 13:24:29 UTC 2009

Manual rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS/ right now resulted

rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/timestamp.txt .
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/TIME .
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Tue Apr 21 13:20:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$

I remember that the mirror ages of ftp.riken.jp was 3 hours
yesterday or the day before yesterday.

But now there are several sites which mirror ages are
12.1-12.2 days now including ftp.riken.jp.

So I think the time stamps obtained by
is sometimes wrong (12.x days ago) while
timestamps obtained by
is always correct.

For the temporary solution to this problem, I added the
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/timestamp.txt /ftp/Linux/centos/
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/TIME /ftp/Linux/centos/
after the
rsync -avzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd /ftp/Linux/centos
command in the daily mirror script.

Takashi Ichihara