[CentOS-mirror] Centos Mirror Quality

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Apr 27 13:45:23 UTC 2009

Svante Svedin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=118 states that
> your automatic redirect system chooses between 100 mirrors around the
> world.
>
> We at ftp.sunet.se would like to know if our mirror is on the list ?

Yes.

> If we are; do you have any logging info about how our mirror is behaving ?

No real logging info, but there is <http://mirror-status.centos.org/>
which shows if you are lagging or not. We do not keep performance logs
though (how should we?).

> Have you experienced any more timeouts from us ?
> If so, what kind of error ? When ?
> What types of tests do you perform ? From the same host all the time ?
> Do your have response time measurements ? Are they consistently close to
> the limit or is it just the failing connections that are slow ?

We are using mirmon (from the same machine all the time), which does not
do performance or download monitoring. Based from the host's currency on
that list, the (location based) mirrorlists are created.

<http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/mirmon/>

Cheers,

Ralph