[CentOS-mirror] Proposal for a mirror hierarchy

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 10 22:38:58 UTC 2009

Hi Shaun,

On 12/10/2009 03:17 AM, Shaun Ewing wrote:
> Mind if I ask how you come to the conclusion that there's a mirror black
> hole in Australia?

we have been asking hosting companies in Australia for a dedicated box
that we might be able to use as a 'seeder' in the region - for about 3
years now - however, not one has actually come through with anything.
Almost every time the issue that comes up is that bandwidth ( specially
transit to the US/EU ) is too expensive to be able to let us run
something like that.

Given that some of these guys are running > 500 machines with CentOS on
there, I'd imagine they are not really the small fish. Also, this is
pretty much what I got from a couple of guys out of Telstra as well.

If there are specific people you might be able to point me at, or even
names of companies, I'd be happy to go down the route of contacting them.

- KB