[CentOS-mirror] New Mirror - Space Required?

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Tue Feb 17 21:07:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:51:41PM -0600, Tim Nelson wrote:

> I appreciate the pointer above in regards to mirror usage. I'd be creating
> this local mirror to remove some load from the other mirrors as we provision
> anywhere between 1-25 CentOS based servers per week. In this case, what
> mirror would I use for syncing these repos?

any of the public mirrors listed at
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=31
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=32

pick the closest to you (rsync?) and as a courtesy to the mirror manager
you are pulling from, just send them an email?

> Also, is it possible to create a repo in a sort of 'cache' mode where
> packages are only stored on the local repo if requested by a device using the
> repo? Essentially a 'yum caching proxy' for lack of a better term?
a squid proxy might be able to do it (the centos mailing list  may be more
appropriate for this kind of discussion), see also cobbler.

Cheers.

Tru