[CentOS-mirror] Good stress tester...

Kate Gerry

kate at oc3networks.com
Sun Feb 8 17:46:51 UTC 2009

Silly enough, the reason why I ask is because I'm not 100% on my RAID +
RAID controller. I want to ensure that it's stable and not dropping
out/etc. And usually, a real 'stress' will show you. While the
redundancy of the yum setup is fine... I'd rather not have the attitude
of "If it fails it's not a big deal", I want to feel that if I set it
up, I don't need to worry about whether it's still up and working at its
peak every 5 minutes.

Server info:

FreeBSD 7.1 i386
Dell 2950 /w 4-bay slot raid
Xeon 3.0Ghz (Dual Core + HT)
2GB DDR2
Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T attached to Cisco SRW2024 /w
fiber uplink
1x 146GB SAS Drive (OS) (I wanted to do a RAID1 on this but since I
grabbed a chassis with only 4 ports instead of 6, I was limited)
3x 1TB SATA2 Drives (RAID5 /w repos on it)

I just thought I'd set this up 'for the lulz' and so far it's worked
okay. However, I haven't been sure if there have been problems on the
server-side, network-side, or just inside my head. There aren't any
errors listed in any logs... But logs aren't always everything.

--
Kate Gerry
OC3 Networks & Web Solutions
kate at oc3networks.com