[CentOS-mirror] push based mirroring

Thu May 14 09:59:25 UTC 2009

Something I posted on the blog, and I'd appreciate comments from this
list about:

Has anyone given though to doing mirror updates via a 'push' rather than
a 'pull' mechanism ?

Basically, when new packages are available the machines that get updates
would do a rsync to the machines down the order, pushing the updates
out. It would allow us to get more updates, out faster and also not need
to waste cpu and i/o on repeated rsyncs that dont need to be run.

Yes, we could/would/should still leave in place some mechanism for
people to setup new mirrors and also to do pull based rsync's as and
when they need.

Just something to think about at the moment, and comments would be very
welcome.

- KB