[CentOS-mirror] Proposal for a mirror hierarchy

Kazuhiro Fujieda fujieda at jaist.ac.jp
Mon Nov 30 02:39:43 UTC 2009

Dear CentOS mirror administrators,

There are many mirrors, but few mirrors provides DVD images.
I believe most of all mirrors have enough resources to provide
DVD images. You always say the master can't provide DVD images
for all mirrors without enough resources.

I suggest introducing mirror hierarchy as follows to solve this
problem.

Administrators of servers with enough facilities stand as
candidates of sub-master server. You may chose at most two or
three servers in one country, and allow only sub-masters to
access the bunch of master servers. In this case, All masters
should provide DVD ISO images.

In my humble estimation, sub-masters should have at least 500
Mbps of effective bandwidth dedicated to CentOS. They should
also provide rsync service able to have more than 20
simultaneous connections. The word `effective' means sub-masters
should transfer more than 5 Tbytes per day only for CentOS.

As for our server, it can easily satisfy these criteria.

Sub-masters may synchronize with the master each hour. Other
mirrors may synchronize with the sub-masters 2-4 times per day.

Sub-masters should properly share the rsync ACL with the masters
to distribute new releases secretly in advance.

Please investigate this idea.

Regards,
--
Kazuhiro Fujieda