[CentOS-mirror] Releases & Mirrors not able to sync with the master pool

David Richardson david.richardson at utah.edu
Wed Oct 14 05:09:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Mathew S. McCarrell wrote:

> So, I have a few questions about the future of the CentOS mirror network
> since the release of 5.4 is soon.
>
> Is there any possibility that the rsync master pool will eventually have
> a direct link to the Internet2 Network?  If not, is there any way for a
> mirror (like mirror.clarkson.edu) to avoid the delay in syncing new
> releases like 5.4 prior to the bitflip?
>
> I'm asking this because the Clarkson mirror was unable to sync the
> release of 4.8 prior to the bitflip occurring since we are forced to
> sync with a mirror that is on the Internet2 Network.  I would prefer to
> avoid delays in being able to serve new releases, if possible.

I may have a solution for you.

I have setup a second machine at the University of Utah. I have the full
CentOS tree, including the DVD images, from the CentOS masters. I have
lots of bandwidth available, especially on the research networks
(Internet2 and NLR).

This second box is intended for other public mirrors (it only hosts CentOS
so far), not end-users. Therefore, it is rsync only, and only by prior
arrangement (I'll open it to any listed tier one CentOS mirror that asks).

I have also configured it to allow you to get the contents before the
bitflip.

While not an official centos.org service, I think this would meet your
desires.

DR

--
David Richardson <david.richardson at utah.edu>