[CentOS-mirror] rsync file ownership

David Richardson david.richardson at utah.edu
Wed Oct 28 22:00:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Matt Ruzicka wrote:

> I'm in process of putting together a public mirror and noticed the
> ownership on my files seem to keep swapping between uid/gid 502, 503 and
> I think I've seen 500 as well.  The mirror howto suggests using rsync
> with -aqzH, which of course is going to retain the permissions of the
> synced files.  Do others just put up with the ownership changes or are
> they splitting up the -a option into only some of its parts?

On mirror.chpc.utah.edu, I don't have the ownership bouncing, because I
don't run the rsync as root.

I run the rsync as the user "mirror". All the files are owned by "mirror".
I then have httpd run as user httpd and rsyncd as user rsync.

DR

--
David Richardson <david.richardson at utah.edu>
"There are two kinds of statistics: