[CentOS-mirror] Average mirror traffic

Fri Sep 25 18:08:37 UTC 2009
Marten Lehmann <lehmann at cnm.de>

Hello,

I am currently rsyncing the CentOS tree to one of our server. We are
managing a few dozends of CentOS servers, so it surely will speed up
updates and lead to less wasted bandwidth if we don't update from common
public repositories any longer, but use an internal server instead, that
only syncs once with the master server.

Now I'm in doubt wether I should make our own mirror public or not.

The first and main issue are the bandwidth costs. Can you give an
estimate on how much traffic a typical European/German mirror generates
per month?

The second issue is, that some kiddies might try to attack and hack our
mirror to inject changed packages. Do you have statistics on this? Which
FTP daemon do you recommend for a hardened anonymous-FTP only service?

Btw.: What do I have to change in the yum config on each server to use
one specific repository server and not the mirrorlist system? Do I just
have comment the mirrorlist line and uncomment the baseurl?

Regards
Marten