[CentOS-mirror] Average mirror traffic

Fri Sep 25 18:28:13 UTC 2009
Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

Am 25.09.09 20:08, schrieb Marten Lehmann:

> Now I'm in doubt wether I should make our own mirror public or not.
>
> The first and main issue are the bandwidth costs. Can you give an
> estimate on how much traffic a typical European/German mirror generates
> per month?

http://centos.bio.lmu.de/mrtg/141.84.43.23_141.84.43.22.html

This is a german mirror, offering rsync, http and ftp, all isos
including DVD. The lack of traffic you can see in July was a config
problem :)

> The second issue is, that some kiddies might try to attack and hack our
> mirror to inject changed packages. Do you have statistics on this? Which
> FTP daemon do you recommend for a hardened anonymous-FTP only service?

I use vsftpd with anonymous access only - and anonymous can only read.

> Btw.: What do I have to change in the yum config on each server to use
> one specific repository server and not the mirrorlist system? Do I just
> have comment the mirrorlist line and uncomment the baseurl?

Yes, as the yum.conf manual page explains in length :)

Ralph