[CentOS-mirror] Very Slow Mirror

Nick Olsen

Nick at 141networks.com
Tue Aug 24 21:20:00 UTC 2010

  On 8/24/2010 5:13 PM, Graham Frank wrote:
> KB --
> In general, CentOS mirrors have been fine enough in my experience.  A
> simple test for something like this could be just a few samples of
> download rates periodically and then make note of it in the mirror
> status page.
>
> Suppose an average response from a server of 80Kbps gets it a bad
> mark.  8Mbps or higher is good enough for most yum needs I would
> think.  32Mbps on up is excellent.  Incorporating something similar
> into the status page and fastest-mirror could help get around issues
> such as this one.
>
> We are not looking to come up with an index of how fast each mirror
> is.  Rather, we are simply trying to identify problems with mirrors to
> preemptively handle issues and offer a baseline of a mirror's speed.
>
> The options for this are numerous.  Your thoughts?

Only problem I see with this is it would be dependent on what the mirror
could pull from the other mirrors.
Lets say the "checking" server is in the US, and the server being
checked is in Australia. It might hand out 10Gb/s to local users, But it
doesn't get used because its marked bad, All because the checking server
is far away(network wise). Or lets say the "checking" server has some
sort of bandwidth issue, Then they all get marked poor... Lots of things
to consider on this one.