[CentOS-mirror] How to

Matt Ruzicka

mruzicka at cisp.com
Mon Dec 13 20:46:10 UTC 2010

Huib "Abigor" Laurens said:

> rsync -aqzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS /path/to/local/mirror/root
>
> we will mirror everything from Centos even version 2 and 3 and thats kind of old
> and takes up lots of disc space nobody uses.
>
> I'm wondering two things:
> How much disc space will it cost to mirror everything with the above command.
>
> Is there a way to only mirror Centos 5 and 4 (and 6 wen it will be released) and
> how much space will that take?

Here's our current disk usage broken down by mirrored directory.  We aren't mirroring DVDs at this point so it would be higher if you did.  Also, when a new point release comes out the old and new source will be mirrored for a short time (ie both 5.4. and 5.5), so you might want to plan for at least twice the available space for the 4 and 5 trees to be safe.  Only mirroring 4 and 5 would just be a matter of twiddling your rsync string.  Hope this helps..

# du -cha --max-depth=1 centos/ | sort +1 -2
115G    centos/
4.0K    centos/2
1.3M    centos/2.1
4.0K    centos/3
4.0K    centos/3.1
4.0K    centos/3.3
4.0K    centos/3.4
4.0K    centos/3.5
4.0K    centos/3.6
4.0K    centos/3.7
4.0K    centos/3.8
36G     centos/3.9
4.0K    centos/4
16K     centos/4.0
16K     centos/4.1
8.0K    centos/4.2
24K     centos/4.3
16K     centos/4.4
16K     centos/4.5
16K     centos/4.6
16K     centos/4.7
46G     centos/4.8
40K     centos/5
16K     centos/5.0
16K     centos/5.1
16K     centos/5.2
16K     centos/5.3
16K     centos/5.4
34G     centos/5.5
440K    centos/build
84K     centos/dostools
2.3M    centos/graphics
8.0K    centos/HEADER.html
136K    centos/HEADER.images
8.0K    centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-beta
8.0K    centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-3
4.0K    centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
8.0K    centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
8.0K    centos/TIME
8.0K    centos/timestamp.txt
115G    total

Matt Ruzicka | Senior Systems Engineer | VCP4, RHCT
CISP
419.724.5345  office
419.205.2499  cell
419.724.3547  24x7 support