[CentOS-mirror] Chinese IPs - Mirror Stats

Prof. P. Sriram

sriram at ae.iitm.ac.in
Fri Jan 22 14:19:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> an example - adsl2+ brings in approx 16Mbps downstram, thats plenty of
> connectivity for most offices with <= 50 employes who mostly only do
> :80/:443 sort of traffic, with some other things like :22 and maybe
> rsync. They should perhaps consider setting up local repo's within their
> facility, but many lack the resources to do so.

I think this is getting well offtopic, but what the heck.

Is it 'reasonable' for such an organization to be generating more than 5
active connections to a single upstream mirror? And that too after
receiving a 503 service unavailable message? That is what it will take to
get on the netblock list for an hour. You may disagree, but I think this
is a reasonable restriction to keep the server available and protected
from (ab)users.

> How about turning off 'RANGE' requests in httpd ? is that an option.

Maybe it was a version thing, but the url rewriting did not work on the
server in question.

--
sriram