[CentOS-mirror] Please remove from mirror list: mirrors.bigtennetwork.com/CentOS

Thu Jan 21 20:06:47 UTC 2010
Scott Adametz <Scott.Adametz at bigtennetwork.com>

All,

Due to an inordinate amount of Chinese based traffic from only a handful
of IP addresses (over 145 TB transferred to just 12 IP addresses in only
15 days since we started hosting the mirror) we are forced to cease our
participation in the CentOS mirror project.

In our research before deciding to offer our support we were told to
expect a sustained 3-5 Mbit/s of mirror traffic.  In reality, and from
only a handful of IPs, we regularly push over 200Mbit/s on our 300Mbit/s
line.  Each of the abusive IPs downloads the same DVD iso files over and
over thousands of times.  We have tried blocking the abusive IPs only to
see another IP with a sequentially increased last octet take its place.
Whether this is an outright attack or just an unfortunate coincidence
matters not.

Regretfully, I must ask that we be delisted from the mirror list asap.
Once our links are down, we will shut down the server.

At some point in the future we may decide to participate again but for
now, we cannot justify the inordinate bandwidth use.

Scott Adametz

Systems Engineer

Big Ten Network

600 W Chicago Ave.