[CentOS-mirror] Please remove from mirror list: mirrors.bigtennetwork.com/CentOS

Thu Jan 21 20:32:29 UTC 2010
Administrador <admin at mail.idl3.net>

Dear Scott & members of list.

I can confirm that this problem also is suffering in the administrative system which excessive traffic from IP's from China, but also various attempts to attack on the servers, -DoS, Hijacking ...- and is a scourge that is not because long can bear, and that unfortunately requires us to rethink continuing the participation of the draft CentOS mirrors. Our work has increased by 50% as long as all references to reinforce safety issues, settings ..., and yet we have experienced two problems with email accounts or passwords Identity theft hacked.

At the moment we, but ... I can not say for how long.

Regards

    Jose A. Crespo
System Administrator

      info at mail.idl3.net · http://www.idl3.net

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Scott Adametz
  To: centos-mirror at centos.org
  Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:06 PM
  Subject: [CentOS-mirror] Please remove from mirror list: mirrors.bigtennetwork.com/CentOS

  All,

  Due to an inordinate amount of Chinese based traffic from only a handful of IP addresses (over 145 TB transferred to just 12 IP addresses in only 15 days since we started hosting the mirror) we are forced to cease our participation in the CentOS mirror project.

  In our research before deciding to offer our support we were told to expect a sustained 3-5 Mbit/s of mirror traffic.  In reality, and from only a handful of IPs, we regularly push over 200Mbit/s on our 300Mbit/s line.  Each of the abusive IPs downloads the same DVD iso files over and over thousands of times.  We have tried blocking the abusive IPs only to see another IP with a sequentially increased last octet take its place.  Whether this is an outright attack or just an unfortunate coincidence matters not.

  Regretfully, I must ask that we be delisted from the mirror list asap.  Once our links are down, we will shut down the server.

  At some point in the future we may decide to participate again but for now, we cannot justify the inordinate bandwidth use.

  Scott Adametz