[CentOS-mirror] Chinese IPs - Mirror Stats

Fri Jan 22 12:23:07 UTC 2010

On 01/22/2010 12:11 PM, Prof. P. Sriram wrote:
> I believe a correction might be in order - we have made it non-usable for
> those that have 1 ip address and want to download at a rate exceeding 5
> active connections per minute. Do you know of any such organizations?

yes, lots! including almost every office environment in the SME setup.
Many people run development and testing VM's / machines inside their
offices - and almost all have a small set of adsl links coming in ( in
EU and US atleast ), that they use for all outbound internet
connectivity behind a NAT setup. In many cases, yum-cron like jobs will
kickoff at very similar times across an organisation.

> Shouldn't they be enhancing their connectivity?

an example - adsl2+ brings in approx 16Mbps downstram, thats plenty of
connectivity for most offices with <= 50 employes who mostly only do
:80/:443 sort of traffic, with some other things like :22 and maybe
rsync. They should perhaps consider setting up local repo's within their
facility, but many lack the resources to do so.

> If you know of any package that provides this enhanced functionality, I
> would be happy to implement that instead of our current scheme.

I personally dont. But if its a case of watching a log file, should not
be hard to implement. However, the problem of things like repomd.xml etc
still persists.

How about turning off 'RANGE' requests in httpd ? is that an option.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh