[CentOS-mirror] lingering cruft at mirrors.usc.edu

Chuck Anderson

cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jul 22 16:12:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:52:12PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 04:44 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > If all mirrors would add
> > /**/.*
> > to their rsync exclude list, we wouldn't see these sorts of things.
>
> please dont do that - there are valid and required dot files inthe mirror.
> eg: .discinfo
> .treeinfo

If everyone uses --delay-updates --delete --delete-after, then rsync
puts the temporary files in .~tmp~/ directories, and it automatically
excludes those temporary files from the rsync transfer.

       --delay-updates
              This option puts the temporary file from each updated file  into
              a holding directory until the end of the transfer, at which time
              all the files are renamed into place in rapid succession.   This
              attempts to make the updating of the files a little more atomic.
              By default the files are placed into a directory named  “.~tmp~”
              in  each  file’s  destination directory, but if you’ve specified
              the --partial-dir option, that directory will be  used instead.
              See  the  comments in the --partial-dir section for a discussion
              of how this “.~tmp~” dir will be excluded from the transfer, and
              what  you  can do if you want rsync to cleanup old “.~tmp~” dirs
              that might  be  lying  around.   Conflicts  with  --inplace  and
              --append.