[CentOS-mirror] CentOS Mirroring HowTo

Thu Jul 8 15:41:28 UTC 2010
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>

It's not at all complicated.  Here's what I did...

My file system has

/mirrors/CentOS
/mirrors/fedora
/mirrors/ubuntu

I performed a full rsync from a local mirror that was able to provide me a high speed link where the data transfer is free.  In Canada I use Canarie which is for University research and instructional locations.  This got me the data very quickly and cut costs.

I now have shell scripts which are called via cron every 4 hours to sync each of the distros that I mirror

I configured Apache, although it could have been nginx, cherokee or other.

I then notified the mirror list that the mirror was ready for public use.

I have as of now transferred 6.5TB of data to the greater world from this mirror in the past two months. :)

----- "Leang Meng" <mleang at gmail.com> wrote:

| Hi Timm,
|
| Thanks for your quick reply, do you have link how to setup mirrors
| server?
|
| Thanks
| Mengleang
|
| On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Timm Stamer
| <timm.stamer at uni-oldenburg.de>wrote:
|
| > hi MengLeang,
| >
| > take a look at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors.
| >
| > regards,
| >
| > timm
| >
| > Am 08.07.2010 10:58, schrieb Leang Meng:
| >
| > Hello, I'm from MekongNet IXP, Cambodia. I would like to host
| >> CeontOS Mirror, Can you advice how can becam CentOS mirroring?
| >> Thanks
| >> MengLeang

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
Phone   : 778-782-6573
Fax     : 778-782-3045
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca