[CentOS-mirror] Suggestions for Pulling from Multiple Mirrors

Wed Mar 17 20:49:36 UTC 2010
David Richardson <david.richardson at utah.edu>

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Jess Cannata wrote:

> We currently update our public mirror from one other mirror site because
> that site has the DVD ISOs, which we want, and the site is also on
> Internet2. This works well for us except if there is an issue with the
> other mirror. How do the rest of you handle rsync'ing from multiple
> mirrors? I can think of a few ways to handle it, but none of my
> approaches seem to be very elegant.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Jess
>
> P.S. Forgive me if this has already been addressed on the list. I
> searched some of the mailing list archives, but did not find what I was
> looking for.

I can think of two approaches:

1) sync from server1 (without using --delete), then sync from server2
(with --delete). The downsides of this are that you're always churing
through two mirrors, and that, if server1 has something new before
server2, the sync from server2 would delete the new content.

2) Use an "or" in your sync. This would only trigger the sync from server2
if the sync from server1 fails. This option would be much less likely to
ping-pong on new content.

DR

--
David Richardson <david.richardson at utah.edu>