[CentOS-mirror] Lost 5.4

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri May 14 03:51:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM, R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>
>> I am confused and a little nervous. I was just beginning a net-install
>> of 5.4, and suddenly it disappeared from my mirror.
>
> The wiki counsels against installing across the net for a
> large variety of reasons
>
>        http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/InternetInstallation
> amended to reflect yet another

Respectfully, I tirelessly manage the mirror at UH in Hawaii,
mirror.hosef.org, and I expect to eat my own cooking. I've been doing
network installs via http for years, and I cache locally on one of the
squid servers in my LAN. I had no reason to expect that a machine I
manage over bandwidth I moderately influence would stop serving a 5.4
directory because an errant rsync job deleted our entire 5.x tree. I
agree that this another reason to be wary of network installs, but I
would hardly chalk this one up to yet another example of why not. The
failure has nothing to do with the wiki.

> -- Russ herrold

--scott