[CentOS-mirror] Lost 5.4

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri May 14 10:51:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Ralph Angenendt
<ralph.angenendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
>> If you are a mirror manager, R P Herrold, then I appreciate your time
>> and energy. I am just a guy who takes responsibility for our mirror
>> here in our IP space, and I noticed that the cron jobs I've been
>> running for years without issue suddenly deleted ALL of the 5.x tree,
>> including isos, and set our mirror timestamp to 5-8-2010.
>
> I really wonder how that could have happened, at least 5.4 is
> available everywhere. The issues we have seen here with systems wiping
> the 5.5 tree was non-updated config files which excluded 5.5 from
> rsync. Those were 2 machines out of X.

I wish I could provide more information or that I had been fiddling
with things and could point to a PEBCAK. My cron job and script have
not changed for at least a year. All I know is that I was shelled in
to the mirror, could see a long cron job running from the msync pool,
and observed that the 5.5 directory was getting full. I did a network
install of 5.4, and when I started another, it failed. I checked the
mirror, and and we had a 5-8-2010 timestamp, no directories above 5.3,
and all the 5.x directories were empty. I checked my shell, and the
cron job had stopped.

I changed to the same upstream mirror we use for debian and ubuntu,
and it's slowly refilling. I don't think I'll have any logs of
interest. I wish I could report more than an anomaly, but, it's gone
and soon forgotten.

> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

Aloha