[CentOS-mirror] Thoughts on DVD images

Jim Kusznir

jkusznir at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:22:41 UTC 2010

I actually really like the idea of a push mirror.  I've always thought
the polling rather inefficient, and can be problematic.  It also takes
more time to stabilize the mirror tree, and results in a complete loss
of control of bandwidth distribution at the msync mirrors, resulting
in everyone getting slower speeds, and sync'ing against a different
mirror each time (and as we saw, sometimes the mirrors' content isn't
stable).  A push model would allow the msync servers to exercise more
control over their bandwidth utilization, getting more "compete"
mirrors out there more quickly.  It would also let them establish
which public mirrors are getting pushed from which msync mirrors, in
case some msync mirrors have a better connection to some sites (I2
mirrors, for example).

Of course, all this is focusing on major releases.  The push system is
REALLY nice when 'minor updates' are released.  A push cycle kicks off
to push out the few packages that need updating.  No more wasting
bandwidth, etc. probing the mirror regularly.  And the smaller updates
(which would generally not be bandwidth constrained) can get out there
much faster, resulting in a more stable mirror tree.

So, in short, I would like to see push mirroring for my mirror.

--Jim