[CentOS-mirror] Fwd: New Mirror on Brazil

Bangladeshi CentOS Mirror Maintainer [BD-SERVERS.NET] centos-org at bauani.org
Tue Nov 2 17:05:02 EDT 2010

Hello Ralph

Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Ralph Angenendt
<ralph.angenendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 02.11.10 21:26, schrieb Bangladeshi CentOS Mirror Maintainer
>>> My crontab
>>> 0 6,18,23,3 * * * rsync -aqzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS /var/www/html/centos/
>> This is my main concern. Normally sync 4 times a day is enough to keep
>> your your mirror up to date.
> That is 4 times a day.

Yes, this is 4 times, but the 18 & 23 seems rush hour to me, as per
experience. But you can say better then me as you have deal with a lot
of country.

>> Also as you are in Brazil, Timezone is
>> vital here.  so I will suggest you to update your cron entry like
>> bellow:
>> 15 1,6,18,22 * * * rsync -aqzH --delete-after
>> us-msync.centos.org::CentOS /var/www/html/centos/
> Why should timezone be "vital"?

Here is an misunderstanding. I was trying to say Timezone is vital to
create a cron entry. Non only in Brazil, all over the world.

>> The main issue is to use idle time both you and from where you are
>> miring. Find out a good mirror near you and change
>> 'us-msync.centos.org::CentOS .

As Brazil is near to us-msync.centos.org, I suggest her/him to use
us-msync and us-msync has a big pool of server & bandwidth. Also
advice her to find out a good mirror near her/him and change it to
that server.

> No. Absolutely do *NOT* do that, msync.centos.org hands out mirrors
> accordingly to where you are. Do not try to only hit one mirror, please.

Thanks for your opinion, I might be wrong. But as you run and work
with a lot of timezone and country, sure you have better knowledge
then me. Thanks again for your clarification.