[CentOS-mirror] IRC meeting regarding new mirroring system for CentOS

Randy McAnally rsm at fast-serv.com
Wed Nov 10 17:24:31 EST 2010

> Your thoughts are helpful.
>
> yes, I would like to log in and view test results, logs, and any info
> MB has on my mirror (any deficiencies it sees or checks I'm failing).
> I would also like the ability to initiate an immediate test so if
> I've corrected something, I can get MB to know about it.
>
> As to the IPs, I'm not familiar enough with ASes yet, but I know
> there is another subnet that we're responsible for:  69.166.0.0/16.
> I don't know if that is included in the AS you mention, or a
> seperate one...but both are on campus IP ranges, and should be
> directed to my mirror.  There are no other mirrors presently.
>
> Secondarily, our campus has a dedicated fiber link to University of
> Idaho (uidao.edu) which also runs a mirror.  I'd like the second
> choice (or perhaps in rotation with) our IPs to point to them.  In
> the mirror admin system, I'd have to request that op enter that as
> well, but that's doable.  In the end, this should prevent any mirror
> requests from using up our outbound Internet bandwidth, which is the
> end goal.  I'm suspicious as to how well the AS system knows what's
> plugged into what and what costs and doesn't cost, and therefore its
> ability to choose proper mirrors for IPs.
>
> For example, at home (On Time Warner cable), I've found that the
> uidaho mirror is by far the best mirror for me...but I doubt its the
> "closest" via AS/network topology.  I don't expect MB to be able to
> fix this of course....

My only concern is that I wouldn't want just anyone to be able to choose my
mirrors as a default.  Let's say the new guy accidentally tells his 10,000
servers to hit our california mirror as their primary mirror, we'd be in trouble.

artificially steered to it, and he should only be only allowed to be steer
traffic from IPs under his direct control (AS).

-Randy