[CentOS-mirror] IRC meeting regarding new mirroring system for CentOS

Peter Pöml peter at poeml.de
Fri Nov 12 18:42:33 EST 2010

Hi!

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 10:02:08AM +0100, Peter Pöml wrote:
> Having said all that, I thought that Yum mirrorlist in MirrorBrain
> should not be hard to implement. I spent some time on it today and got
> quite far; configuring mapping of URL query arguments to
> directories/files is done, and actual mapping works. I chose Apache
> config as vehicle for that, and the following is a working config:
>
> MirrorBrainYumDir release=(5\.5) \
>                   repo=(os|extras|addons|updates|centosplus|contrib) \
> 		  arch=x86_64 \
> 		  $1/$2/x86_64 repodata/repomd.xml
>
> For instance, $1/$2/x86_64 is the base URL to a repository, and the match
> groups can optionally be replaced with what the client specified to the
> query arguments. ($1 is the first group from the configuration line, $2
> the second, and so on. The names and number of query args are all
> arbitrary.)
> The last argument is a relative path, and the file that must be present
> on eligible mirrors. The resulting path here would be e.g.
> 5.5/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml, and the client would get a list of
> mirrors in the form of
> http://mirror.example.com/path/to/centos/5.5/os/x86_64/
> (That's what's missing to be implemented, but it's the easiest part :-)
> So I'm confident that I can promise Yum mirror list soon. Maybe I can
> finish it this week, maybe the week after, I don't now.
>
> Meanwhile, I would appreciate input from you: is this reasonable? Would
> it serve your needs?

I finished implementing MirrorBrain's yum mirrorlist support. It's committed to
trunk http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mirrorbrain?view=revision&revision=8217
and I'm going to release MirrorBrain 2.15.0 soon I think.

(I'll be very busy in the next weeks though, and might not be able to reply for
a few days.)

Peter