[CentOS-mirror] new private mirror

Bangladeshi CentOS Mirror Maintainer [BD-SERVERS.NET] centos-org at bauani.org
Sun Nov 14 12:28:22 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Randy McAnally <rsm at fast-serv.com> wrote:
>> > Looking through your mailing list's archive I gathered that you are
> currently preparing to change your mirror infrastructure. If in doing this you
> should implement a way to run a private mirror without having to update the
> CentOS-Base.repo file on every machine (for example by giving clients
> different mirrorlists depending on the netrange their request are originating
> from), I'd be very much obliged.
>>
>> That probably will depend on what we choose to go with and if we
>> want to officially support "private" mirrors. AFAICS that creates
>> work for us with no obvious benefits. And I rather have large
>> corporations offer a public mirror than a private mirror :)
>
> I agree.  Private mirrors should be completely unsupported by the CentOS guys.
> Please let them spend their time contributing to the Centos community, not
> your private network.

I also express my view, not to support Mirrors with 'Private' Label on
it. Anyone can create a Mirror of CentOS Project's files. With this
Private Mirror, he/she can redirect their CentOS box update traffic
and in this case my opinion to sync their mirror from nearest Tire 1
Mirror. There shouldn't have any headache to Master Mirror
Maintainers.

But as a curtsy the owner of private mirror should contact the
maintainer of the Tire 1 mirrors, from where he/she is
updating/syncing private mirror.

With Best Wishes

-Ahamed Bauani
Maintainer, CentOS Mirror of Bangladesh
http://www.bd-servers.net/

> -Randy

Regards & Besh Wishes

Noor Ahamed Bauani
Chief Technology Advisor
Dhaka Wireless
http://www.dhaka-wireless.net/
An IPv6 Ready ISP in Bangladesh, Need an IPv6 Connectivity? Just Knock us!
HP: +880-1818-BAUANI (SMS Only, No Direct Call Please)