[CentOS-mirror] IRC meeting regarding new mirroring system for CentOS

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Oct 21 10:32:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM, J.H. <warthog9 at kernel.org> wrote:
>> I'll endeavor to attend though I'll be in a physical conference most of
>> the day.  Personally I would mostly be interested in a transcript to be
>> published, at least to the mirrors, of the discussion either way.
>>

> +1 to this!

I guess in my mind, the question becomes -- What is wrong with
people wanting such, installing screen on a reliable box in
fine bandwidth, and using an irssi, and having a local
transcript?

I wrote scripts that did the automatic log capture, rotation,
and coloration early on, and itseemed to me that all it did
was provide 'fodder' for google to remember with ephemeral
content that some speakers might not want to see years later
in a web search.  When CentOS was spunout of cAos into a
standalone project on new inrastructure, I certainly did not
fee that the effort was worth migrating, as I rarely used it

Part of why IRC works in my opinion is that it is casual and
unguarded

I understand that this is a meeting but a better reaction
might be a person feeling the need to take a local log, and if
one felt motivated, produce 'minutes' of the event in the wiki
-- that way, the 'burden' of the production is borne by the
person 'feeling the itch'

-- Russ herrold