[CentOS-mirror] Ideas on steering yum to local mirrors

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Oct 3 13:13:32 UTC 2010

On 09/27/2010 11:39 AM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> I know of cdn.debian.net which knows how to do ASN lookups since the
> last weekend. Mirrorbrain which runs behind the mirrorlist for opensuse
> and openoffice.org also uses ASNs as well as Fedora's MirrorManager
> which I have already set up for RPM Fusion. IF there is interest I can
> help set up a MirrorManager instance.

We looked at going down the route of a CDN, way back in 2006, and I've
been keeping my eyes on that track since then. The reason why we didnt
is that it would involve  non-trivial job, monitoring and process
control tasks to run on non centos.org machines; and that's not the sort
of thing that large mirror providers want to look at.

Also given the very nature of how .centos.org is built up ( donated
machines, with a fairly high rate of churn ) its hard to get our own gbp
announces etc in place. We could potentially look at this again, maybe
come up with a list of challenges and see if and how we might be able to
solve them.

- KB