[CentOS-mirror] Terrible .edu mirror performance

Bangladeshi CentOS Mirror Maintainer [BD-SERVERS.NET]

centos-org at bauani.org
Sat Sep 25 02:45:00 UTC 2010

Hello All

I support Randy M, my mirror is mirrors.bd-servers.net has multiple
address, that's not the issue, issue is the machine itself update any
rpm via yum, it always choose .au mirrors!

Other box in same subnet, also choose most  of the time .au mirror. So
I have to change the yum.conf of all CentOS box to use
mirrors.bd-servers.net. More funny thing is from mirror access log, I
found most of request is coming from India, Pakistan, Nepal etc. Few
Bangladeshi IP also shows up, but it is too low in numbers. I think
the problem is on fastmirror plugin.

>From my country we have 3 gateway   One is Seabone, Italy (EU), Other
is Singapore where few high speed mirror running, those mirrors are
connected with Singapore National IX and the 3rd and most traffic pass
through Tata Communication, India.

I asked few friend of India to check the mirror, result: most of time
about 4 out of 5 found mirrors.bd-servers.net as their list.

We might have to do something about this issue.

Regards
Ahamed Bauani