[CentOS-mirror] Ideas on steering yum to local mirrors

Adrian Reber

adrian at lisas.de
Mon Sep 27 10:39:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:42:06AM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 26.09.10 20:52, schrieb Randy McAnally:
> > I have never seen our own mirrors show up in more than 1 of the 4 repos at any
> > given time.  In the case of DNS/Proxy hijacking, does this mean we would have
> > to return ONLY our mirrors, or do I just make sure they are part of the 10
> > random mirrors?
>
> Note that I am not officially recommending DNS hijacking, as I think
> that it is rather nasty towards your users - and only really works if
> all your users use your name servers for DNS resolution.
>
> Having said that: I'd just return your mirrors, if you can handle the load.
>
> There are other mirroring systems which can also act on a BGP or simple
> CIDR level, maybe it is time to take a look at those.

I know of cdn.debian.net which knows how to do ASN lookups since the
last weekend. Mirrorbrain which runs behind the mirrorlist for opensuse
and openoffice.org also uses ASNs as well as Fedora's MirrorManager
which I have already set up for RPM Fusion. IF there is interest I can
help set up a MirrorManager instance.

		Adrian