[CentOS-mirror] Two noob questions

martin martin at skytech.dk
Thu Apr 7 11:56:54 EDT 2011

 Oi,

 Adam posted a locking script yesterday on this mailing-list. It uses a
 two-phase run to grab DVD-iso as well though, but you could just block
 that part out if you dont want it.

 Regarding bandwidth it seems it is very different based on location and
 mirrors close by. I only get ~15-60gb transfer on an average day, but
 some servers will be much much higher.

 I dont think your 100mbit would be saturated, but if you do find
 yourself maxed out too often you could use something like mod_cband for
 apache to say always keep some bandwidth available.

 Regards,
 Martin

 On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:18:26 -0400, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've mirrored CentOS (http://centos.alteeve.com), initially to be a
> local mirror for our DC. I've been thinking about making it publicly
> available, but I was concerned about the load it might place on the
> server. I remember seeing somewhere an estimate on the bandwidth to
> expect, but I seem to fail at Google and can't find that again.
>
>   So, first question; If I become a public mirror on a server with a
> 100Mbit connection, will my uplink likely become saturated?
>
>   Second question; with regards to locking to prevent rsync calls
> from
> overstepping one another, what do most people do? The docs said to
> ask
> here. :)
>
> Cheers!
>
> --