[CentOS-mirror] Not on mirror list

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 12 16:33:37 EST 2011

On 12/09/2011 02:31 PM, Matt_Domsch at Dell.com wrote:
> I don't expect sub-country-level GeoIP to be of benefit, because inside a country, the network topology rarely matches the physical geography in any close relationship.

In some places it makes quite a big difference, eg: Hawaii is linked up
in a way that local traffic is always going to be faster than, say from
NYC. Similarly in Europe and parts of Asia, most people peer locally.

Also, keep in mind that large numbers of CentOS installs existing inside
local DC's  ( its not uncommon to have 20,000 CentOS installs within 2
hops of a mirror ). They should always get a local preference rather
than something from say 800 miles away. Similar universities etc.

- KB